The weather is slowly warming and the sun is shining, and it’s the perfect time to get outside and enjoy some springtime activities. Whether you have grandchildren visiting or want to get outside solo, these activities will help you enjoy this beautiful season.
Springtime Activities with Kids
There’s nothing more magical than enjoying that first beautiful spring day, except enjoying it with grandkids of course! Here are some fun ways to get outside with little ones and create lasting memories:
- Go on a nature walk with the kids and try to find as many different types of plants, bugs, rocks, and flowers. How many can you name? If you have a nature book, bring it with you and teach your grandchildren the names of some of your favorite springtime flowers.
- Paint the rocks you collected on your nature walk with fun quotes and pictures. Seal them with a weatherproof protective layer and leave them random places to bring other people joy. Many communities have Facebook groups dedicated to this game (try searching: “Your City” Rocks).
- Plant a tree outside and use the moment to teach your grandchildren about the importance of taking care of our environment.
- Spend some time outside finger painting or using watercolors, then create a pop up art exhibit outside to display all their hard work. The Artful Parent shares more ways to display your grandchildren’s work inside, as well.
- Build a birdhouse, either from scratch or from a DIY kit like these ones. Then, you can bird watch from right outside your window and count how many different kinds of birds you see. Encourage your grandchild to channel their inner photographer and snap a picture of each bird, and then create a photo album with all the best ones.
- Ride bicycles to the local coffee shop or ice cream parlor.
- Go to the library, rent a few books, then set up a picnic blanket and read them under the sun.
- Speaking of picnics, set up a picnic right in your backyard equipped with lemonade, snacks, a blanket, and some games.
- Decorate cheap t-shirts with fabric paint, glitter, rhinestones, buttons, and more. The sky’s the limit for your creativity.
- Build a fort outside using old sheets and blankets, then make it cozy and take a nap inside.
- Make puppets with socks and markers, and put on an outdoor show.
- Paint a DIY tapestry in the backyard using an old sheet.
- Set up a scavenger hunt throughout the neighborhood and give your grandchild a list of clues to see if they can find the prize or collect as many items on the checklist as possible (ex: a white dog, a penny heads up on the sidewalk, a couple holding hands, etc.)
- Roast some marshmallows for s’mores on the grill outside and enjoy the springtime weather.
- Go to a drive in movie, or make your own with a projector in the backyard.
Springtime Activities for Senior Couples
Even without kids around, the spring is the perfect time to get outside with a loved one. Here are some easy ways to get outside and enjoy each other’s company:
- Stargaze, but instead of finding the traditional constellations, make up your own.
- Take a hike. Hiking is a great way to stay moving and enjoy some exercise in nature. Plus, it’s a great stress reliever.
- Go mini-golfing. Or, if there isn’t mini golf near you, build your own course or try some of these other DIY outdoor games.
- Visit the local farmer’s market and pick out some fresh produce. Then, using your fresh groceries, cook dinner together at home and eat it outside on your patio.
- Go to an ameatur sporting event near you. Even if you’re not a sports nut, the tickets are pretty affordable and it gives you a reason to get out of the house.
- Look on Facebook for upcoming events in your area and swing by. You can find festivals, art crawls, comedy shows, and more.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood and check out the local garage sales. You never know what hidden gems you might find!
- Go on a food truck tour and sample all the different cuisines around your city. If you don’t have any food trucks, restaurants will also do the trick. To try everything, only get a small appetizer to split and then move onto the next one. Think you can make it all around the world through your tastebuds?
Get outside and enjoy the sunshine and blooms this spring with these activities for kids and couples. There’s something about a fresh new season that makes it perfect for creating new memories through springtime activities.