“It will be celebrated with pomp and parade, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other.” – John Adams, 2nd President of the United States.
Why do we Celebrate the 4th of July?
4th of July has a long and celebrated history and for 243 years, we have come together to honor our freedom and independence. It’s a holiday full of social gatherings, fantastic barbeques, and, of course, a beautiful spectacle of colorful fireworks.
4th of July Activities for Adults
It’s usually a day of family coming together, but maybe this year you’d like to have some “independence” from the holiday norm. Check out a few 4th of July activities below to help you celebrate the holiday:
4th of July Activities for Couples
While you might not celebrate the 4th of July in the same way as you did as a kid, there are still tons of 4th of July activities for adults that are festive and fun. Whether you’re celebrating with someone you’re dating or a group of friends, here are some of our favorite 4th of July activities for adults:
- Go on a picnic – Imagine that red checkered blanket laying out on the perfect shaded piece of grass and a wicker basket full of all the classic summer goodies to enjoy as you lay the day away. Picnics are simple, easy, and low cost.
- Go for a nice bike ride – If you live in a place with scenic views and peaceful trails, rent a few bikes and take a ride out. Feel the breeze on your face and enjoy the warmth of the sun as you ride down your favorite bike path.
- Enjoy a day at the pool – The weather’s warm, you want to get outside and, chances are, your neighborhood has a community pool that you can go to this summer. Take a towel, sunscreen, and head to the pool for a nice swim. Enjoy the weather and the fresh water as you swim.
- Make some delicious summer drinks – Classic summertime drinks are lemonade and tea. Add some fresh fruits to the drinks to give them a new twist.
- Find a good book to read – Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that are the best, so grab your favorite book, lounge inside or by the pool, and get lost in a story.
4th of July Activities for Friends
There are lots of 4th of July activities that are perfect for a group of friends. Branch out this year and try some of these group 4th of July activities for adults!
Not only is socializing with others fun, but it can also help your mental health. Try organizing a block party by bringing together the neighborhood and increasing your social circle. Make it a potluck and have a theme like “Favorite BBQ Dishes,” “Favorite Family Recipes,” or “A Melting Pot (a dish from your culture or ancestors).
Or, you can have a traditional backyard barbecue! Invite over a few close friends and family, relax in the beautiful weather, laugh and have fun reminiscing about old times while making new memories. Also, showcase some of your cooking skills with a few of these red, white and blue recipes.
Another fun 4th of July activity for adults is to put together a team for some friendly competition. Try some of these games for seniors:
- Volleyball with a beach ball
- Water balloon toss
These games can create some healthy competition between you and your friends while helping your physical health.
Check Out Some of the Local Activities
There are probably a ton of 4th of July activities for adults and children happening around your local neighborhood. You could scope out a 4th of July parade, a fireworks show, or other local gathering.
Or, if you really want to celebrate America, take a short trip to your local National Park or landmark. From the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. to the faces of Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota to the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Colorado to the giant Redwood Forest in California, wherever you are in the United States, there’s a place for you to visit that honors the beauty and historical richness of this nation.
However you decide to celebrate this July 4th, enjoy family, fun, and freedom! Happy 4th of July!